Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rhubarb - "Spring Tonic"

My mother makes rhubarb sauce and considers it spring tonic. She used to make rhubarb jam, which called for a box of strawberry Jello! I like to make rhubarb chutney, which is a great condiment with curries, as it cools down the heat. It's also good with cream cheese on crackers.
My favorite new rhubarb recipe is a torte, which I made from my frozen rhubarb. It was a hit at a couple of dinner parties we had last summer. It's a nice alternative to my standard rhubarb crisp, which I've made for many potlucks. Here it is:

RHUBARB TORTE

Combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup soft butter and 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar; press into a 9" pan with high sides and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. While the crust is in the oven, beat 3 eggs with 1 1/4 cups of sugar for 5 minutes till fluffy; stir in 1/4 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspooon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Fold in 2 cups of rhubarb cut in 1/2" dice. Pour over crust and bake for 40 minutes at 350. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

LittleRed said...

I was looking for new ideas for rhubarb and Felicity directed me here. I will have to try this as it sounds quite good! Thanks for sharing:)